Welcome from Chair
Welcome to the Governors pages for the South Hams Federation. My name is Jane Greaves and I am the current Chair of Governors.
The Board of Governors of the South Hams Federation represents the five schools within the Federation (Kingsbridge, Loddiswell, Malborough CofE with South Huish, Modbury and Stokenham Primary Schools).
In accordance with the Government’s requirement for all governing bodies, the core strategic functions of the South Hams Federation Board of Governors are establishing the strategic direction, by:
- Setting the vision, values, and objectives for the Federation
- Agreeing the Federation improvement plan with priorities and targets
- Agreeing the Governors’ improvement plan with priorities and targets
- Meeting statutory duties.
Ensuring accountability, by:
- Appointing the Executive Headteacher
- Monitoring progress towards targets
- Performance managing the Executive Headteacher
- Monitoring staff well being
- Engaging with stakeholders
- Contributing to Federation self-evaluation.
Overseeing financial performance, by:
- Setting the budget
- Monitoring spending against the budget
- Ensuring value for money is obtained
Instrument of Goverment: The South Hams Federation Board of Governors comprises:
- One Executive Headteacher
- Two Parent Governors
- One Staff Governor
- One Local Authority Governor
- Five Co-Opted Governors
- Two Foundation Governors, one of which is Ex-Officio (The Foundation Governors are appointed by Exeter Diocesan Board of Education).
Total number of Governors 12
- The Board of Governors meets five times a year.
- Governors hold School Improvement Plan meetings at least once a term to challenge and hold senior leaders to account and report back to the full Board of Governors.
- The two Standards Committees meet as required.
- The Ethos Committee meets once a term.
- The Resources Committee meets three times a year.
The Board of Governor meetings are held in school time, allowing Governors the opportunity to meet the children and staff, undertake Learning Walks and see all four schools operating on a day- to-day basis.
Each year Governors are required to complete a Skills Audit to identify the skills, knowledge and experience to identify any additional skills or experience that the Board ideally requires. The outcome of the audit helps formulate opinion as to whether prospective Governors have the skills to contribute to effective governance and the success of the Federation.
The Board has an Improvement Plan and undertakes a self evaluation review.
How You Can Contact the Board of Governors
We always welcome feedback, suggestions and ideas from parents: Please contact the Chair of Governors, Mrs. Jane Greaves, Email: Jgreaves@southhamsfederatiom.org.uk
South Hams Federation